How were you taught to Self-Treat?
Most people who are taught Reiki will have been taught how to do Reiki on yourself, a way of focusing the energy on yourself, for your own benefit, and the most common form of self-treatment is what I would refer to as a “Standard Western hands-on” self-treatment method. This is where you rest your hands in a series of positions covering the head and torso and maybe beyond, and let the energy flow out of your hands into your body.
It works well, though some of the positions can often be uncomfortable to get to, or hold for any amount of time, and that can sometimes detract from the blissfulness of the experience.
So what I’m going to talk about in a series of articles are a number of different ways that you could self-treat, perhaps different from what you have been taught.
This is article #2. Last time I described my “simplest Reiki self-treatment method ever” and now we can add some intuition into the mix with a new self-treatment method for you:
Taggart’s “Intuitive self-healing meditation”
This is still a very simple self-treatment method, where you’re not resting your hnads on yourself, but allowing the self-healing to occur through meditating.
What is new in this meditation is that we are going is to notice where the energy is flowing, and we are going to focus our attention on those areas.
Here’s what to do.
- Make yourself comfortable in a seated position, maybe with your hands resting in your lap, and close your eyes
- Start to become aware of your connection to the energy, your connection to Reiki
- Notice how that connection feels, with the energy engulfing you and building within you in just the right way for you in this moment
- As the energy flows, just remind yourself that your intention now is to heal, to heal on all levels, to rejuvenate, to rebalance
- Just say to yourself, “this is my time to heal now”
- And allow the energy to flow, to flow to wherever it needs to go to give you just what you need in this moment
- And start to become aware of the energy and where it’s flowing
- Where is the Reiki focusing itself, where is it dwelling?
- Allow your attention to rest on that area; bring your awareness there
- If the energy moves on to another area, bring your attention to that new area, and notice the energy there
- Stay in this safe space, allowing the energy to provide balance, and healing
- And finally bring yourself back when you feel ready, and open your eyes
So this method doesn’t involve hand positions, or symbols, it doesn’t require visualisation, it doesn’t direct the energy in any way. You sit, you merge with the energy and you allow it to flow, to do what it needs to do.
What is different, though, is your attention: you follow the flow of energy and wherever the energy is directing itself, you focus your attention there too.
This is a powerful thing to do because where you focus your attention is where the energy focuses itself.
By allowing your attention to rest on the areas of need, you intensify and boost the flow of energy because “where thought goes, energy flows”.
And you can just be there as a bystander in the process, observing, experiencing, in a neutral way: merged with the energy and following the flow of energy.
Over to you
If this self-treatment method is new to you, why not give it a try?
And post a message below to let us all know how you got on with it, how it felt, what you experienced, what it did for you.
Some more self-treatment ideas
If you’d like to learn more about how to self-heal with Reiki, if you need some help with your self-treatments, or if you’d like some new ideas to experiment with or pass on to your students, why not download my “Reiki Self-Treatment Meditations” collection of MP3s.
They are suitable for all Reiki levels.
In these five meditations, I talk you through the most simple approach ever… and interesting variations like an intuitive healing meditation, a self-healing meditation that was actually taught by Usui Sensei, a “Standard Western hands-on” method and an Intuitive hands-on method.
Price: £13.49. Click to order via PayPal: